Transcript/excerpt of Connie Brannan answering a question: “What Has Hypnosis Been Used For?” for webinar “Discover the Magic of Hypnosis.” broadcast June 30, 2015.
“Hello! Connie, again! What has hypnosis been used for? Pretty much anything you can imagine. If your mind is involved, hypnosis can be useful for that. It’s been used clinically for so many different things. The big three: weight loss, quit smoking, and anxiety and stress release. Those are the mainstream kind of things that people come to a hypnotist for.
However, it’s possible to do so much more beyond that. We can stop pain. We can stop bleeding. We can help people to have comfort during oral surgery without anesthesia. Surgical procedures without anesthesia. Through the power of the mind. Accelerated healing. There’s a whole field of hypnosis called hypno-birthing. I don’t partake of that, however many people do. And that is all about preparing the person’s mind for comfortable childbirth.
There’s just so many different uses. And I can tell you a little bit more about some of the clients I’ve had in my office. Really, it’s everyday people with everyday issues.
• People that have had relationship breakups and they want to stop obsessing about their old partner.
• People that play golf. They want to be a better golfer, they just want to score better in their game. Any sport, any sport you can name, hypnosis is a way to focus the mind to access a skill set and automate it!
• Any kind of phobias or fears that are inappropriate for life can be shifted. I have seen every phobia under the sun. Fear of overripe bananas. Fear of record stores. Fear of dinosaurs. Just fear of anything you can imagine. Fear of the wind! Imagine how terrifying that would be, living here in the Pacific Northwest. You see a leaf move, and you go into a panic attack. These things are not resourceful. They’re not useful. And the mind can make those changes very easily.
• I’ve worked with artists. I’ve worked with musicians.
• Kids with test anxiety.
• I’ve helped a stroke survivor regain cognitive function.
• I’ve helped people with memory.
• If you’re into the esoteric explorations, I even did past life recall type work with people where we go backwards in time in their imagination and we replicate and recreate wisdom and learnings from prior lives. Whether you believe it’s an actual thing, a past life, or simply a symbolic representation in the mind, either way it has useful information there. So, sometimes in hypnosis, that’s where we go.
What is hypnosis good for? Really, anything and everything! I have worked with kids to senior citizens for everything. If it’s something that you want to be different in your life, hypnosis is a tool that can help you get that communication into the unconscious. Where it has power.
Because, here’s the bottom line: Your unconscious mind is really super agreeable. It will create for you the things you instruct it to do. It is so agreeable, so accommodating, and so creative in making it happen.
The problem that people run into is they think about the things they don’t want in their life. With hypnosis, we pull them out of that thinking and put them into the other side of the coin. As Albert Einstein said: “You can’t solve a problem with the same thinking that created it.” Or maintains it! What do you want? How do you want life to be different? How do you want to feel? What do you want to think? What behaviors do you want to modify? Yyou can change anything about yourself.
This is so underutilized, hypnosis. I believe and feel that, as time goes on, hypnosis is going to gain, and gain, and gain in credibility. And appreciation. And become mainstream. There are going to be as many hypnotists and hypnosis clinics as there are pedicure and fingernail manicure shops. On every corner, practically. Or dry cleaners. Because hypnosis can help anyone do anything. That’s my belief and I’m sticking with it.”
–© Copyright Connie Brannan, CHt. & Licensed Trainer of NLP® 2015
Here’s an audio version, I hope you can hear my passion and love for this mind power: hypnosis.
Stay tuned for more webinar excerpts, as well as future webinar and live training opportunities. The next offering of the school side of what we do: July 9-12, 2015. Four day hands-on, live hypnotherapy training. Details are here: http://www.seattlenlptraining.com
All the Best,